Last updated: 14 May 2020
Applicable to everyone who comes on the CERN sites.
Everybody has a responsibility to contribute to the effort of avoiding the spread of the COVID-19 infection. Besides the recommended hygiene measures for viral infections, everyone on CERN sites must comply with the following measures, to reduce chances of infection by and spreading of COVID-19:
- Keep a physical distance of two metres at all times and avoid physical contacts like hand shaking. If closer distance is unavoidable, additional COVID-19 personal protective equipment (PPE) must be used (namely, masks and other PPE depending on the work environment);
- Wear masks indoors when other people are present (in shared workspaces) or may be encountered (in public spaces). Whenever a physical distance of two metres cannot be observed outdoors, masks must be worn. See here for how to wear, use and dispose of a face mask;
- Wash hands regularly and thoroughly with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser (please note that soap and water is more effective). Wash hands in particular after using sanitary or other common facilities (vending machines, cash dispensers, etc.), before and after using masks, coughing or sneezing;
- Regularly clean tools, workstations and utensils, according to instructions;
- In case of fever, i.e. temperature above 37.5 °C, stay home. Measure body temperature twice a day;
- In case of feeling ill, irrespective of the symptoms, stay home. Do not go directly to the hospital or your general practitioner, but call the relevant numbers. Stay home for a further 48 hours after the symptoms subside;
- In case of feeling unwell while at CERN, stop activity immediately and call the Medical Service (+41 22 767 4444).
Department Heads, Technical Coordinators of experiments and contractors must ensure that those under their responsibility have access to adequate sanitary facilities or are provided with the adequate COVID-19-related Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for their working environment. It is also their responsibility to organise working conditions so as to ensure two metres physical distance between people. For work in tunnels, laboratories and similar areas, whenever this distance cannot be maintained, or in situations of increased risk of transmission of the infection, additional PPE must be used (such as safety glasses, face shields or protective screens).
For contractors, the CERN member of personnel that is responsible for the contract must ensure that the contractor is informed of the CERN COVID-19 health and safety measures and certify that the relevant documents are updated accordingly. Contractors must guarantee that activities and personnel comply with these measures. Further information for contractors is available here.
For more detailed information on how to protect yourself and others, visit the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health.