Last updated: 19 November 2020
Applicable to everyone who comes on the CERN sites
Everybody has a responsibility to contribute to the effort of avoiding the spread of the COVID-19 infection. Besides the recommended hygiene measures for viral infections, everyone on CERN sites must comply with the following measures, to reduce chances of infection by and spreading of COVID-19:
- Keep a physical distance of at least 2 metres at all times and avoid physical contacts like hand shaking.
- Wear masks when entering and moving within buildings or public spaces (e.g. offices; meeting rooms; corridors; restaurants, including restaurant terraces)
- Wear masks at all times in meeting rooms, shared offices and shared workspaces, even when seated and irrespective of the distance or ventilation. If alone, the mask may be removed.
- Wear masks outdoors when a physical distance of two metres cannot be ensured at all times.
- See here for how to wear, use and dispose of a face mask;
- Wash hands regularly and thoroughly with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser (please note that soap and water is more effective). Wash hands in particular after using sanitary or other common facilities (vending machines, cash dispensers, etc.), before and after using masks, coughing or sneezing;
- Regularly clean tools, workstations and utensils.
- In case of some or all COVID-19 symptoms (persistent dry cough, sore throat, fever, i.e. temperature above 37.5 °C, loss of taste and/or smell muscle pain stay home and call CERN Medical Service +41 22 766 7777. In case of emergency, call the national emergency numbers (15 in France and 144 in Switzerland). If at CERN and experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, stop activity immediately and call the Medical Service (+41 22 766 7777) (see Medical assistance)
Department Heads, Technical Coordinators of experiments and contractors must ensure that those under their responsibility have access to adequate sanitary facilities or are provided with the adequate COVID-19-related Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for their working environment. It is also their responsibility to organise working conditions so as to ensure two metres physical distance between people. For work in tunnels, laboratories and similar areas, whenever this distance cannot be maintained, or in situations of increased risk of transmission of the infection, additional PPE must be used (such as masks, safety glasses, face shields or protective screens).
For contractors, the CERN member of personnel that is responsible for the contract must ensure that the contractor is informed of the CERN COVID-19 health and safety measures and certify that the relevant documents are updated accordingly. Contractors must guarantee that activities and personnel comply with these measures. Further information for contractors is available here.
For more detailed information on how to protect yourself and others, visit the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health
(ref: Annex 1; ch.1.2)