Within CERN, the HSE Unit is responsible for:
- The establishment, update and interpretation of the Organization's regulatory framework in matters of Safety;
- Radiation Protection;
- Occupational Medicine within the Organization;
- Fire and Rescue Services;
- The provision of advice and support in matters of occupational health and safety;
- The monitoring of - and reporting on the environmental impact of the Organization’s activities;
- The granting of Safety clearance for Installations, including special equipment, activities, projects and CERN Experiments with major Safety implications.
The head of the HSE Unit reports directly to the Director General.